It is currently Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:51 am

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:52 pm 
Greenhorn

I shall soon travel to North America for the first time for a short visit in New York and Montreal. Quite exciting. Would be cool if anyone can recommend real cool stuff (not the lame touristy shit)!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:04 pm 
Greenhorn

All you need to do is to meet up with The Dude and he will lead you on the right path!

"Like four Jerry Maguires in age-inappropriate leather jackets, U2 only wanted you to show them the money."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:20 pm 
Greenhorn

I second that :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:40 am 
Greenhorn

Re: Montreal

Bring Winter Clothes. Montreal gets a lot of snow.

Things to Do:

See a Montreal Canadians Game if they are in town. I don't hate the Habs, but I hate their fans, but they are passionate and it's like seeing the Yankees if you are a Baseball Fan.

Ben's and/or Schwartz Deli - Order Smoked Meat, not Corned Beef. If you call it Corned Beef they will slap you

If you use the Subway, or as they call it, Metro, get a Steamie. You'll find out. Local Yumminess

Old Montreal. Downtown, great shops restaurants and a nice part of town to walk around

Too many Galleries and Museum's to mention

Rue St. Catharines - Hit the strip at 3-7 to benefit from Happy Hours. This is the Anglo Friendly section of town with bars and clubs up the wazoo

Club Super Sex - If it's a Boys only trip, this place is a legend.

Hull Que - Not far away and great bars.

"I do not feel that taking my wife to Club Super Sex on our Anniversary is bad....what the hell, she's dancing at 5 anyway" - I am a Quebecer

If you have the time and a car, Quebec City is a few hours away and is incredible in the winter. Ottawa our Nation's Capitol is apprx 2 hours away, and you can see the Parliment Buildings, Skate on the....River name escapes me now, and Toronto is approx 5 hours away. If you are mobile and have 2 days plan to go to Toronto. Niagara Falls is an hour South West of Toronto.

If you are driving, be prepared as Quebecers only use red lights as a suggestion. Agressive and Snooty is to be expected in Quebec so don't take it personal. Most Quebecers dont consider themselves Canadians and most Canadians hate Quebecers so don't think they are representative of our people.

Enjoy and have a great time.

P. Laviolette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:09 am 
Greenhorn

What are you into?

The great outdoors or the concrete jungle?

New York State has it all.

IN NYC start off with the Statue of Liberty. Hang out in Central Park. The museums are too numerous to mention.

Time square will blow you away.

After you are sick of the city, go to the Adirondack Mountains as you drive north to Montreal. Maybe stop in Lake Placid. Saratoga Springs is a blast.

Be ready for the delay at the border.

We made the trip last summer for Steve Hacket in Montreal. Montreal is no New York City but it is a fun place.

Welcome to North America. Glad you came.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:18 am 
Greenhorn

Are you driving from NY to Montreal? If so, and have time to make a stop or two, I could add some suggestions.

If you're not driving NY to Montreal, then I have no recommendations except to have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:46 am 
Greenhorn

If driving from NYC to Montreal you will hit Niagara Falls on your way. A must see for anyone.

Also if driving and you're a golfer check out Bristol Harbour in Canandaigua, NY. It's 20 minutes off the Interstate. Great place, fun course, the Finger Lakes are awesome and the staff at BH are Top Notch. Tell Michelle the Restaurant Mgr that you are friends with the Walkers and you will be treated like Kings.....

This actually would be a great in between trip place to stop as it's probably about halfway. They have a restaurant and hotel on site.

P. Laviolette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:50 am 
Greenhorn

Walkster...Niagara Falls and Canandaigua are nowhere near I-87.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:50 am 
Greenhorn

Info on Bristol Harbour

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/ ... gfest.html

Bonus: Emma broke off her engagement to the Douchebag

P. Laviolette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53 am 
Greenhorn

Hey Talk

Whoops I've never driven to NYC. I figured it would be I-90 (or 290) past Syracuse to NYC

Nevermind....

P. Laviolette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:23 pm 
Greenhorn

walk, your Montreal rundown looked pretty comprehensive. I've got to make the drive up there sometime, albeit probably in the warmer months.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:48 pm 
Greenhorn

I spent a month there during the Ice Storms of 98. If you can get past the french people, it really is a cool city, unlike anywhere else in Canada.

P. Laviolette

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:32 pm 
Greenhorn

Lots of responses. Cool.
I'm actually going in May so hopefully it is warm by then (although I don't mind the cold. Enjoyed a cool -30 degrees Christmas morning last year), but I guess it might rule out a Canadians game. Would have been cool to drive from NY but I'm actually taking a train. Would be cool to be treated like king on the way, but I don't golf. I guess I have will have to eat this crazy Poutine stuff as well. And I hope I get to see some cool band.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:50 am 
Baby Weed

Quote:
Re: Montreal

Bring Winter Clothes. Montreal gets a lot of snow.

Things to Do:

See a Montreal Canadians Game if they are in town. I don't hate the Habs, but I hate their fans, but they are passionate and it's like seeing the Yankees if you are a Baseball Fan.

Ben's and/or Schwartz Deli - Order Smoked Meat, not Corned Beef. If you call it Corned Beef they will slap you

If you use the Subway, or as they call it, Metro, get a Steamie. You'll find out. Local Yumminess

Old Montreal. Downtown, great shops restaurants and a nice part of town to walk around

Too many Galleries and Museum's to mention

Rue St. Catharines - Hit the strip at 3-7 to benefit from Happy Hours. This is the Anglo Friendly section of town with bars and golf balls up the wazoo

Club Super Sex - If it's a Boys only trip, this place is a legend.

Hull Que - Not far away and great bars.

"I do not feel that taking my wife to Club Super Sex on our Anniversary is bad....what the hell, she's dancing at 5 anyway" - I am a Quebecer

If you have the time and a car, Quebec City is a few hours away and is incredible in the winter. Ottawa our Nation's Capitol is apprx 2 hours away, and you can see the Parliment Buildings, Skate on the....River name escapes me now, and Toronto is approx 5 hours away. If you are mobile and have 2 days plan to go to Toronto. Niagara Falls is an hour South West of Toronto.

If you are driving, be prepared as Quebecers only use red lights as a suggestion. Agressive and Snooty is to be expected in Quebec so don't take it personal. Most Quebecers dont consider themselves Canadians and most Canadians hate Quebecers so don't think they are representative of our people.

Enjoy and have a great time.
thank you mate ....