It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:11 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: Year end wrap
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:33 am 
Greenhorn

It's been a great year for live music here's some of the performers I saw perform live:
Jack White
Neil twice with the Horse and with Willie Spawn
ATCF
Doyle Bramhall II
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Miles Electric Band
Buddy Guy
Marc Ford
Jeff Beck
Paul Rodgers
The Mighty Mojo Prophets {Mike Malone band)
The Broughams (another band with Malone)
Think Floyd
Eric Burdon
Duane Betts and the Pistoleers
Hellride
Eric McFadden
The Temperance Movement
Devon Allman with Duane Betts
Galactic
Trombone Shorty
The Fab Faux
Joe Bonamassa and Jimmy V
Iggy Pop
Black Mountain
Tenacious D
Gary Clark
George Porter Jr.
Neil Diamond (with Mickey Dolenz singing I'm a Believer!)
The Meters
Herb Alpert
Gov't Mule
Dave Mason
The zep sounding kids
Snarky Puppy
Beth Hart
Deer Tick
Margo Price
Ozomatli
The Go Go's
Jimmy V and the Blue Soul Rockers
The Cult
STP
Bush
Lee Ritenour
Little Days
Phil Lesh
Sturgill Simpson
Tajmo
Melissa Etheridge
Jim Lauderdale
Eric Johnson

Sorry if I left anyone out

Post subject: Re: Year end wrap
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:39 pm 
Greenhorn

Quote:
It's been a great year for live music here's some of the performers I saw perform live:
Jack White
Neil twice with the Horse and with Willie Spawn
ATCF
Doyle Bramhall II
Preservation Hall Jazz Band
Miles Electric Band
Buddy Guy
Jonathan Wilson
Marc Ford
Jeff Beck
Paul Rodgers
The Mighty Mojo Prophets {Mike Malone band)
The Broughams (another band with Malone)
Think Floyd
Eric Burdon
Duane Betts and the Pistoleers
Hellride
Eric McFadden
The Temperance Movement
Devon Allman with Duane Betts
Galactic
Trombone Shorty
The Fab Faux
Joe Bonamassa and Jimmy V
Iggy Pop
Black Mountain
Tenacious D
Gary Clark
George Porter Jr.
Neil Diamond (with Mickey Dolenz singing I'm a Believer!)
The Meters
Herb Alpert
Gov't Mule
Dave Mason
The zep sounding kids
Snarky Puppy
Beth Hart
Deer Tick
Margo Price
Ozomatli
The Go Go's
Jimmy V and the Blue Soul Rockers
The Cult
STP
Bush
Lee Ritenour
Little Days
Phil Lesh
Sturgill Simpson
Tajmo
Melissa Etheridge
Jim Lauderdale
Eric Johnson

Sorry if I left anyone out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:49 am 
Greenhorn

wow what a list! Which ones were your favorites?

Not looking forward to a whole lot this year that I know about yet except for Magpie Salute!!!

"Like four Jerry Maguires in age-inappropriate leather jackets, U2 only wanted you to show them the money."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:06 am 
Greenhorn

Obviously Neil with the Horse was number one
Obviously Marc was awesome but scarce we got Bluebird Street!
Jimmy V and Bonamassa was pretty awesome for a bar gig they were playing a bunch of songs associated with John Mayall
I saw Jimmy V 5 times last year he sat in with Duane Betts at the Peppermint Club and with Mule at the Wiltern, plus he played with his own band in Burbank and with the Fab Faux doing the White Album which was pretty great. I'd have to say that Gary Clark was in the top tier as were Jonathan Wilson and Doyle Bramhall
I think I saw Perkins on drums 4 or 5 times, twice with the Floyd cover band the last time at the Wisdome near Little Tokyo where they have a fantastic multimedia show that is like nothing I've ever seen.
Michael Schenker was awesome he had every singer he's ever employed and they sang together and alone and it was an incredible 3 hours

I had never seen Paul Rodgers without Jimmy Page that was really cool. Ditto (first time) for Melissa Etheridge (she was one of the openers for Tajmo and upstaged them) and the Go Go's at the Bowl with an orchestra and fireworks was pretty sublime (Being in the company of Frenchie didn't hurt)

Beth Hart is all kinds of awesome

Jeff Beck .... Enough said he is the greatest living guitar player

Devon and Duane are gonna do big things and their set at the Simi Valley Cajun and Blues festival was pretty sweet but not long enough.

Those were some of my favorites but I would be remiss to dismiss the others. Iggy I finally got to see after being a fan for 40 years. I usually don't go unless I think it's gonna be a good time!

Last edited by hozedhead on Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm 
Greenhorn

Quote:
wow what a list! Which ones were your favorites?

Not looking forward to a whole lot this year that I know about yet except for Magpie Salute!!!
im going to MagpieS in Pasadena I'll be in front on Marc's side and Dawes the following night at The Orpheum.

Other shows I'm interested in are Beth Hart with KWS in Anaheim, Blackberry Smoke in Anaheim, Galactic at Fonda, Charlie Hunter at The Mint, James Brown Dance Party at Echoplex, Rival Sons at Fonda (unfortunately sold out), Mark Knopfler at Greek, Ozzy at Hollywood Bowl, Playboy Jazz Festival, Beachlife festival being planned in Redondo Beach, Doheny Blues Festival, Rolling Stones at Rose Bowl, Nels Cline at Masonic Lodge, Mad Skillet at Masonic Lodge on my Birthday, Dead and Company at Hollywood Bowl (saw them last year at Dodger Stadium great show).

Shows not announced yet that I will be interested in are Arroyo Seco, Cal Jam, Allman Family Revival and if Kamasi ever comes back he belongs to the world now..

Not sure about Sir Paul at Dodger Stadium it was extremely hot last July at the Dead show he might need one of those refrigerator suits like NASCAR drivers wear! I saw him at The Forum many years ago and it was great I can't imagine that he could put on a better show now but then again I was apprehensive about seeing Neil last year and he really delivered a memorable show with the Horse in Bakersfield. Those Nelsons and their friends who backed him at Arroyo Seco were pretty good as a backing band as well, they just weren't Crazy Horse, who are the best band anyone could have.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:01 pm 
Greenhorn

I am going to expound a little I first saw Neil with the Horse at Universal Amp on the Rusted Out Garage tour many moons ago and I declared as I was wont to do back then that they had my money whenever they came back and they never disappointed! Other than the Stones I accepted them as the best band that I could hope to see and they have never let me down. Day to day I may be higher on one group or another but overall I think whoever set up that gig out in the desert that included Neil. Paul, Mick and Roger had it right for us old fucks but that being said I love the future of music there are so many younger folks who are carrying the torch or burning down the house and I am excited to see what's happening! I went to a show last week in Little Tokyo where some old favorites like Perkins on drums and Norwood Fisher on bass plus a bunch of other pros were playing Floyd tunes and there was a mind blowing visual show projected live in a dome above and around the audience! I have been to several real Floyd concerts and this was impressive. You may say I'm easy to please but I think my concert going record speaks for itself

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:52 pm 
Greenhorn

Oh and if Dean Del Ray and his comedy buddies want to do another comedy ACDC show with Gorman on drums I am all in!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:16 pm 
Greenhorn

Oh lord i forgot Luther and Cody at the Roxy and I think Uli Roth will be rocking the Whiskey soon!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:04 pm 
Greenhorn

I forgot the MC50 show at the Ford Theatre near Hollywood Bowl. It's a really great venue and Wayne Kramer put together a great band to pay tribute to one of my all-time favorite bands. Seeing Kim Thayill and Matt Cameron share the stage was awesome enough for this old Soundgarden aficionado and hearing the ferocity they and the rest of rhe group used to attack the material was very satisfying. Duff came and jammed on guitar and the guy from Afghan Whigs also pitched in! It was a great fucking show!